Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Every Little Bit Helps

We have a tradition every year to go and purchase a cart load of turkeys and give them to the food bank. Our parents always do the dinner for us, and we contribute a side dish, so we never need to spend much money on Thanksgiving Dinner.
This year, our boss gave each employee a $50 gift card to Smith's. Again, not having any need to buy a turkey for us, we asked our bishop if there was any need in our ward. He said that there are a few families that are really struggling, lost their jobs, one is waiting for a new heart, and times are rough, any help we could offer would be appreciated. We decided to take our gift cards, since we each got one, and bought a full Thanksgiving dinner for three families in our ward. Smith's just happened to have Norbist turkeys on sale for $8, but limit to one per customer. When we went to check out, and the cashier said she could only do one of the three turkeys for $8, and would have to charge full price (around $30 each) for the other two. We needed three, so that was fine.
The turkeys wouldn't ring up at all. The line was really starting to build up behind us, so she just decided to give each turkey to us at the $8 sale price... little miracles, maybe her heart was touched, I don't know, but we bought 3 turkeys, 3 bags of potatoes, 3 gravy mixes, 3 boxes of stuffing, 3 cans of cranberry, 6 cans of yams, 3 bags of marshmellows, and 3 pies for $87.00!
We even had $13 left over...
We took the groceries over to our bishop, and that following Sunday, he came to us and said that as he was driving to one of the members' homes, he felt prompted to go to a different house than he originally planned. When he gave them the food items, they said that they were praying for something to happen, they were going to be short on money for Thanksgiving Dinner this year.
Can I just say how truly blessed we are... My heart was touched by the spirit after hearing this from our bishop, and I cried throughout sacrament meeting. This is such a special time of year to reach out and help others around you. I feel blessings from heaven pour down on us every single day, hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! We're heading to V-town after we eat with Tyson's fam in the city. Love, Dani

11 comments:

Harvey Family said...

Thank you so much for sharing that. It made me cry. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but still it is so touching and so nice to know there are people out there who have a sincere desire to help those who are struggling. What a great example you two are. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Nikki, Chris, Rooks, & Reese Wilding said...

That's really awesome of you and Tyson- thanks for being such an amazing example in our lives! -And we really are so blessed- Mom and I went grocery shopping today and we got everything we needed ya know- I told her the same thing- Wow we are really lucky! Love you and can't wait for you to get here!

Kelli said...

you guys are so sweet. What a great thing to do when you have extra. Your a great example to us all.

Shalisa Hazleton said...

That is pretty awesome of you to do! And what a good bishop to be close to the spirit so he could go to the right home. Thanks for being good examples.

Kandice said...

You are such a good person!!! It was SO good to see you Friday, you look so good and happy.

The McClellan Clan said...

Oh my gosh dani, that is the best story. Thank you so much for doing that for them. That is awesome. I bet you felt great!! ITs AmaZiNg

Ben and Marcie said...

That was an awesome story Dani, thanks for sharing it. It brought tears to my eyes. You guys are such sweet people to be thinking of others and wanting to use your gift to help people in need! I'm sure those families had a wonderful Thanksgiving because of you.

Brian, Nikki, and Nevie said...

What an awesome tradition! You guys are so sweet to help out those in need.

I'm glad I got to see you the other day! I'm excited for Friday's lunch date! We need to decide a time & place still, don't we?

Hillary said...

That is so great you guys are able to do that, and without hesitation. I loved your story. It's so nice to be reminded of the good in the world

AuntEmmy said...

You guys are so awesome!

Amanda said...

Wow. That is AWESOME! I needed to read something uplifting... You and Tyson are SO awesome... there is just no other word to describe you... I love you guys!!