We just got back from Maui yesterday. I kept a little journal of the happenings of each day. We had the best time, the weather was perfect, everything was so beautiful, it was a great trip!
Day 1: All of my family, plus my sister's boyfriend Andres, met at my house, we had breakfast, made by my sweet husband, and we were off to the airport. My sister-in-law and her husband drove all of us in two vehicles to the airport. We did curbside check in, and security was a breeze. We had a connection in Las Vegas, and we ate at a Chili's while we waited for our next flight. Flying over to Maui is about a 5 1/2 hour flight, to 6 hours. We all didn't realize that eating at Chili's at 2 was not going to last us until about 10 or so when we actually arrived, so we were all about starving when we were about half way there. My sister has a six month old, Rooks, and the little guy did so great on the flights, he is such a little sweetheart. When we landed, we bought some muffins at Starbucks, picked up the rental cars, well 2 mini vans, and were off to our hotel. We all went to bed immediately. Maui is 3 hours ahead of Utah time, and it was way past all of our bedtimes.
Day 2: Everyone woke up very early (still needing to adjust to Maui time), and we had cereal and headed down to the beach. The beach is directly across the street from our hotel. Its beautiful, the surf is awesome, and it has an awesome reef right to the side where the snorkeling is perfect. Tyson loves to snorkel, so he headed into the water before the sun had even peaked out from behind the volcano. My mom, dad, and I walked the beach, and the rest started swimming and having fun in the waves. Before we knew it, my sister Jacky and her boyfriend Andres were out on this rocky point where the reef continues out into the ocean. The lifeguards were surrounding them. We ran out to them, and they were okay, just covered in my sister's blood. They were looking for crabs and somehow, a wave carried their flip flops out, so Andres went to reach for them as the wave came back in and all of a sudden, a huge wave went over his head and carried him out, also, he doesn't know how to swim. So my sis went to reach for him and a wave carried her out. Andres pushed her back onto the reef, and then she grabbed for him, and somehow, them trying not to drown or be crushed by another wave, her feet were slashed by the reef. Needless to say, they are okay, which we are extremely grateful for, but we did spend the next 3 hours at the urgent care while Jacky got stitches on one of her feet. The cut was clear to the muscle, and she had 6 stitches. Her other foot looked like a hanus cat attacked the bottom of her foot. Andres was alright, scared to death, and a few cuts, but we are just grateful that they were okay. After we all cleaned up, we went and bought groceries, and $400.00 later we took the food home so we could eat at the condo here and there. Milk was on sale, 2 for $10, usually $8 each. :) Then we all went to this favorite place of ours, Lu Lu's. Its a tradition we have to eat there the first day we go to Maui. This picture is us out on the same reef where my sister got hurt.
Day 3: Tyson and I woke up early again, and flew over to the Island Kauai. Tyson's Grandma T was staying there, and she flew us over for the day to visit her and check out the sites. She used to be a travel guide and she showed us all of the best spots. We rented a car and drove around all day. The entire Island is like a rain forest, Tyson said he was on "pretty" overload that day. Kauai gets over 600 inches of rain each year, it is very beautiful. Here are a couple of pictures while we were on Kauai.



Day 4: Woke up, not as early as before, but still before the sun came out. Went down to the beach. We swam and boogie boarded for a few hours. Went back to the condo and made sandwiches and showered. We went to I'ao (eee owe) Valley, it is a beautiful place. It has this rock thing that juts out of the mountain, called the I'ao Needle. We explored for a while and then went back to Kihie, where our condo was. We ate dinner at Outback Steakhouse that night, we waited much longer than we should have, but once we got in, the food was great. It is my brother in law's, Chris, most favorite place.
Day 5: We all slept in today, what a relief, finally adjusting to Maui time. We all just put our swim suits on and went looking for a different beach up by Lahaina. We all went to Bubba Gump's for lunch and it was so yummy and the server was awesome. There was some funny homeless guy on the rocks by the restaurant. He was changing his clothes, and was completely nude. My sister whistled at him, and he took off, kind of a weirdo. We continued driving up past Lahaina, and it was rainy and windy on that side of the island. We drove back down and found a little snorkeling spot. We only lasted about an hour, the wind was just too strong on that side. Tyson and I went down to "our" beach (across from the condo) and ended up staying there until sundown. We boogie boarded and swam until dark. My parents joined us for the sunset, everyday different, but always breathtakingly beautiful. My brother in law Chris made us taco's for dinner, it was refreshing to not eat out for every meal. Tyson and I walked around the little town of Kihei and found some fun and weird fruits at the grocery store. I should have taken picture, but we ate ramatans, kind of like a little red something with soft spikes, but you cut it open and its clear fruit around a woody seed. It tastes like a grape, very interesting.

Day 6: Tyson, Natalie, and I drove my parents over to go golfing, about a 45 min drive. Then we went back to "our" beach again. Tyson went snorkeling, like he did everyday we were there, and I just laid out and got some sun. Tyson saw a 6' turtle while snorkeling. We both got a little too much sun that day, and were both beaming red by the end of the day. We picked up our parents, and ate at the club house with them, and then met the rest of the family and went shopping at all the little stores.
Day 7: Chris's 24th Birthday! All the boys went golfing to celebrate my brother in law's birthday. All the gals went to pizza for lunch and then went to the mall in Kuhalui. We shopped for a few hours, and then we all met back at the condo and got all fancied up. We all went to a fancy restaurant, rated #1 in Kihei, Cafe O'Lei. It was really awesome food, my dad ordered seared ahi, and I really didn't think he would like that, I was shocked when he ordered, so I ordered a NY Steak just in case he wanted to trade. SUPRISE, he tried one bite and switched immediately. The seared ahi was wonderful, completely raw in the middle, I just couldn't look at as I took a bite, once it was in my mouth, I was okay though :) We went back to the condo, we had cake and ice cream for Chris and opened presents. Another fabulous day in paradise.
Day 8: We all went down to "our" beach again. Most of us went and snorkeled, we saw all sorts of fish, and two turtles. It was awesome! At the beginning of our trip, my sister, Natalie, had a cold. It was passing to all of us like wildfire. Today was my turn for the cold. After snorkeling, I was beat. Half of my fam went down to Makena Beach, aka big beach. They even found a nudist colony... Tyson and I took a much needed 2 hour nap. Tyson grilled chicken for my whole fam and we just stayed inside and watched a movie.
Day 9: My parents went golfing to a different course today. All of us, minus my sister Natalie, hopped in the mini van and traveled the road to Hana. This was Tyson and my second time going, but the rest of them hadn't done this on the previous trip. It is along windy road, 52 miles that takes about 3 hours if you don't stop. Hana is not really anything special, but the road there is along the coastline and is just stunning. We stopped along the way and took lots of fun pictures. It was a long day in the car, but it was very beautiful and we all really enjoyed it. We met up with Natalie and my parents and went to Lu Lu's again. Its a fun little place, they had a guy singing and playing the guitar right by our table, it was awesome. Plus, its upstairs, and has no glass over the windows, just open air, and its a perfect place to watch the sunset.


Our Last Day in Maui, Day 10: I woke up sad, not wanting to go back home, well, the cold really. Our friends called us while we were in Maui and said it snowed 10 inches at our house.... burrrr. We went to "our" beach one last time. We snorkeled and sat in the sun for about 2 hours. Tyson found his 6' turtle again, this time, the turtle came right up to him to say goodbye. He hit Tyson's tummy with his shell, I really think he didn't want to be bothered by anymore snorkelers, but it was cool for Tyson to get that close on the last day there. We went and loaded our bags in the vans, and went on a whale watch. We saw lots of whales, and even dolphins. It was a really fun boat ride. Then we all just hung out. Pretty much in all different directions. Tyson and I walked the beach one last time. Actually considering moving there, but really, no way. Its just so wonderful while you are there. We went to the airport, and flew from Maui to Phoenix. It was the redeye flight, and some of us actually did sleep. We then flew from Phoenix on back to SLC. For Tyson and I, we were home. The rest of my family had another 3 hour car ride, but they did arrive save and sound.


The trip was amazing. My sister's baby did great. He was so well tempered and happy the entire time. We all had fun, its different being with people 10 days straight, and we did really well I think. I feel bad that my sis got hurt the first day, she didn't get to swim at all. She got her stitches out today. I'm grateful she's alive. It could have been worse. I appreciate my parents for taking our family, we are truly blessed. I am truly grateful for my sweet husband. He was in good spirits, and took care of me while I was sick, and he was helpful with my family the whole time. I appreciate him and the awesome time we had in paradise! (Now that we are back in Utah, and work, and all that, it has been snowing all day, just makes you appreciate it all the better ;)







4 comments:
Dani! - Looks and sounds like you had a blast! keep in touch! Have a great time on all of your other trips - I love to travel!
Dani-I'm so jealous. G.J. and I went to Maui for our honeymoon for 13 days. It wasn't long enough. I love it there. Looks like you had a blast. Hope all is well.
Hey, Ive tagged you - see my blog for instructions!
holy cow that sounds amazing. I just feel the warmth reading it. I'm so glad that everything went okay!! I was scared you were going to tell a story about a shark or something!!! Thats awesome. Glad your home safe
Post a Comment