Just a quick post, yesterday Tyson had the cancer cut out of his face. Wow, what an experience. The procedure went well, it was a lot more involved than either of thought it would be, but the cancer is gone, and that is what is most important. The surgery is called Mohs Surgery, and the process goes like this: numb the cancer growth and surrounding skin area, cut the cancer out, cauterize the wound, test the cells for cancer, if there is still cancer, start over. Tyson had to be numbed and cut on twice. The second time, they got it all, and they were able to stitch him up. The hole that was cut out of his face is about the size of a dime in diameter, and approximately 1/3 of an inch deep. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the hole. The doc did a fabulous job of pulling the skin in, and stitching the wound shut right next to Tyson's right nostril. The doc said that in a year, you shouldn't even be able to tell he had surgery on his face. The upper lip area is super sensitive, and by nature, the skin tissues take longer to heal, so it may be months before the wound actually heals.
Tyson's face is very swollen, and is bruising pretty good right now, but he is doing really well. Doctor's orders were to take "several" days off work, he's not supposed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, and no strenuous activity for at least a week. He's home resting today... following doctor's orders. Thanks to all of you for your comments, emails, phone calls, and most importantly prayers. We appreciate you all so much.


11 comments:
So glad everything went well!
I'm so relieved that the surgery went well and that the cancer is gone! "Cancer" is such a scary thing to hear, no matter where or what kind. So I'm glad it's gone and that he's doing okay. Tell him to keep taking it easy!
That's great that things went so smooth and they were able to get it all.
I must have missed some post that said he had cancer. WOW. I will say a prayer for you both tonight. Hugs
I'm glad to hear everything went so well! Keep him home resting and get well soon Tyson!
Glad to hear everything went well, tell Tyson to feel better and you join us for lunch tomorrow if you can!! :)
i hope he heals up quick and doesn't have it ever come back. I am glad all went well!
Hey dear! Sorry for not leaving a comment in forever! I finally updated my blog now that I've been feeling a little bit better. How is Tyson feeling today? Please let him know our prayers are with him. Love and miss you always!
I think I missed something that said he had cancer. Really scary! I'm so glad everything went well!
i am glad everything went well-i haven't check any blogs since i started back to school so I didn't even know-sorry
:):)
jen
That's crazy - I had no idea. My dad had something similar done on his nose. I'm glad it all went okay and you can put some worries behind you!
Post a Comment