Friday, October 24, 2008

SOME MORE BEFORE AND AFTER HOUSE PICS

I've finally been able to hang some things on the wall and finish putting in new light switches, so here are more "before and after" pictures of our work in progress, sorry, this is kind of long, but most pictures:
The Entry Way

Before:

After:

The Entry Way had physadelic wall paper, that was more like fabric glued on the wall, nasty carpet at the entry and the stairs going to the basement, a crusty little globe light with gold feathering, a cast iron banister with hearts, yes, hearts, and glass tiling that had gold spider web etched in it, I know, you're jealous huh :)

We ripped down the fibrous wall paper, peeled up the glass tiles, my mom used a wrench for hours unscrewing the banister, and we ripped up the carpet. My cousin textured the wall that had the wall paper on it and we painted it a nice warm beige color, we put tile in the entry way, carpet on the stairs, and installed a new banister, which I love, no swirly hearts, much more modern...

The Kitchen

Before:After:

Oh, the Kitchen... where to start. There was so much work to do, and so much of it my dear hubby had to do, my mom and I tried to peel up the back splash, the glass tile floor, but we couldn't even budge one tile... the kitchen had red brick back splash with black tar behind it, very pretty, old light fixtures with millions of cobwebs, yucky appliances that just had to go, black glass tile laid on half of the floor, crusty carpet on the other half that was laid over layers of vinyl (which had to be torn out also), and a sliding glass door that didn't close, how safe!

We started by renting a tile lifter from the Depot. Tyson used this for the glass tile on the floor, and the lovely back splash. We laid beautiful tile throughout the entire kitchen, installed a new sliding glass door, new black appliances, travertine back splash, a new sink faucet (the old one leaked), and beautiful new light fixtures. Thankfully the cupboards were like-new Kitchenmaid cabinets and the counter top was also fairly new, its Corian brand, and we kept both, just needed some deep cleaning, but they actually are pretty nice... so that's the kitchen!


The Living Room

Before:

After:
Probably one of the rooms/areas that needed the least amount of work. There was popcorn ceiling, complete with glitter flecks throughout the entire house, minus the kitchen. Once that was down, my cousin textured the whole ceiling, and then we primered and painted everything. The carpet came out, way too many animals stains for us. We had to primer the sub-floor, the stains had soaked through the carpet.

We kept the fire place. All of the homes in the neighborhood have a similar rock fireplace. For right now it works... we plan to tear the rock out eventually, like next year, maybe this winter, and install a gas log fireplace with crown molding... but for now, its not so bad.

So there are some of the updates of the bank repo that is slowly becoming our home. Its a challenge, but it definitely gives us a project. Our neighborhood is doing a clean-up where you just set stuff at the street and they hall it away, so 6 pine trees have been chopped down, and I'm pruning the plum tree that is growing out of control tomorrow. Its definitely come a long way, as you can see from the pictures.

Also, about going private, I'm going to give it another week or so, so just let me know, if you already haven't. Hope you all have a fabulous weekend, can't wait to get to my pruning, love Dani.

13 comments:

Liesl Law said...

Your house is awesome! I would love to be in your situation. Remodeling before kids is the way to go. I can't imagine doing all that with my girls. I am a bit jealous that you get to do it and make some place your home. Congrats. I can't wait to see your pruning work finished!

Kandice said...

Dani-it is SO cute, and so you. I love it. You guys worked so hard and should be so proud!!!

The McClellan Clan said...

Oh my heck girl. I'd still be working on the first room it was my house!! You guys have done such a great job!! I love the house!!! Great work Tyson!! I feel like your mom--- I"M SO PROUD OF YOU!!

Amy said...

wow!!! So, umm, When do you sleep?

Liberti said...

Wow! way to go - it looks FABULOUS, you guys did so much work - but it paid off! Great job! Don't forget me on your list, vangass.liberti@gmail.com

Kelli said...

Holy Cow. Thats a lot of work. I have a black iron railing and thought I had to live with it. I guess I dont. Who knew. Not me. So I am putting it on the list of things to change.......someday. Great job. That house is going to be worth so much more. You have great taste. sometime I might email you my fireplace and see if you have any suggestions.

Megan and Mike Glines said...

The house looks awesome! You guys don't waste any time. You really have such a talent! We miss ya, and keep us posted on going private.

Shalisa Hazleton said...

Wow. You have done some hard work and it looks really nice. Great job you two!

rosann said...

Dani - it looks so fabulous!! When you and Tyson are done with your house, I'd be open to considering you guys worthy to work on my house!! Just kidding - but seriously - hard to believe it's the same house in some of those pictures. I'm not good for much, but if you ever need help painting I'd love to help!!

Heather and Adam Parry said...

Oh It looks great. And you have stayed busy. Hope that things are as well as they sound. We miss you and wish you well.

Shelby said...

Make sure to invited me if ya go private shelbyloo06@hotmail.com
your house looks amazing. John and I are in the process of buy our first. I have been not so excited about the renovation work but you are giving me motivation!

MnM McQuivey's said...

It's amazing what a few changes to modernize a home will do. I love what you guys have done with the house. All that hard work really payed off!

jenjenkins said...

Hey girl!

The house looks awesome! I am just barely catching up on blogs now that my semester is over(except for my 4 finals) I can't believe how out of the loop i've gotten with focusing on school

well more laters