When my husband and I heard the news of the passing of our dear Prophet, I do not remember feeling sad or upset. I felt this amazing feeling of peace, and this is for many reasons, but I knew he was in heaven reuniting with our Savior, and especially his sweetheart. He lived a long and full life, and even though I will miss hearing his encouraging words at conference and other meetings, I had peace. The church is organized, and is a house of order, I knew there would be no voting and campaigning for the next President of our church. I knew that everything would just work out peacefully. My husband and I sing in our ward choir. Tyson has a beautiful voice, he has sang in our previous choirs and has sang in duets, quartets, and even played a wise man in a Christmas pageant. He doesn't really like it, but he really adds to the choir. I don't really have a singing voice, I always played the piano, but I go to choir for moral support for Tyson. Our choir sang yesterday in sacrament, a tribute to President Hinckley. We sang "I Know That My Reedember Lives" written by Gordon B. Hinckley himself, and then went right into the first verse of "God Be With You Till We Meet Again." I could barely sing, the spirit was so strong, and the music was beautiful, it was such a neat way to remember our dear Prophet.
Then, after church, we had choir practice, and the choir director has chosen a Easter song by Janice Kapp Perry, but the words were actually written by President Hinckley. It is titled, "What is This Thing Called Death?" It was sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at President Hinckley's funeral. There is a really neat story about this song, and if you want to read it, go to this link:
Gordon B. Hinckley was an astounding example and leader for all to look to. He related stories to all ages. He always seemed so positive and uplifting to listen to. It was such a great experience to sing in tribute to his life yesterday, and I look forward to singing another song written by him on Easter Sunday. I also look forward to sustaining and following our new Prophet, Thomas S. Monsen. We live in such exciting times.
I really love this picture, its almost as if President Hinckley is waiving goodbye for a time...


3 comments:
It is a beautiful new hymn. What a beautiful parting gift President Hinckley gave to us. I believe this one will become a standard in our repertoire. I am so pleased to hear that your ward is performing it - and Easter is so appropriate! All the best to both of you - what an exciting year of travel you are experiencing! Wow. ENJOY IT - once the patter of tiny feet are introduced to your lives, these kinds of adventures don't come along. :)
I couldn't agree more! I feel very blessed to have grown up while Pres. Hinkley was the prophet. What an inspiration he is. I know Pres. Monson will be just as great!
dani-Of course, the only weekend you are going to be home, I am going to be in Salt Lake. We are leaving friday and will be home late Saturday. If you are still here sunday give me a call, I would love to have you over! TTYL
Post a Comment