Monday, April 14, 2008

STRANDED

Friday afternoon, Tyson and I got in his Montero and headed to Vernal to hang out with family and friends for the weekend. As we descended into Heber City, all of a sudden, the Montero DIED. The engine just shut off, and so we coasted to the side of the road. Tyson got out and popped the hood, and started tinkering around with things in the engine. It wasn't five minutes, and a nice guy came out to help us. Then his buddy showed up, they got out all of their tools and stood outside in the freezing wind for about 45 minutes trying to help Tys figure out what was wrong. They came to the agreement that the engine wasn't getting fuel, and so we needed to put a new fuel pump in it. Disclaimer: We just paid off the Montero last month, and two weekends ago, the clutch went out and Tys put a new one in himself, which saved us about $500 if a mechanic would have done it... Okay, back to the story: we called around, no fuel pumps in Heber, and no way for Tys to work on it on the side of Highway 40 anyway.

A guy at Checker recommended a little repair shop, and in about 15 minutes, they came and towed us to their shop. They said they had a way of getting a fuel pump, they would get it installed and we could be back on the road to Vernal in less than 2 hours. After about one hour of hanging out at this shop, they came out and told us that it definitely wasn't the fuel pump, there was no power to the fuel pump... the spark plugs weren't getting any spark... a lot of boy talk for me, but basically, the Monty isn't going anywhere for a few days until their mechanics can find the electrical damage... Great.

So, we called Tyson's awesome sister, Tralina, who is such a sweetheart, and she came from SLC to pick us up in Heber. In the meantime, I needed to find a bathroom, other than the lovely sanitized one at the mechanic's shop we were at (not really). So we started walking around Heber. We found ourselves at a cute little gas station, really clean bathrooms, a major plus, and yummy hot chocolate that warmed us right up. The wind was blowing so hard there, and with the wind chill, it was below freezing. So here is a picture of us stranded in Heber in a little gas station. They had little tables and chairs and we just hung out for awhile sipping our hot chocolate. Thankfully, Tyson's sister showed up and rescued us.

We got up bright and early Saturday morning, determined to get to Vern's hole to see our family. We arrived and with in an hour, Tyson went golfing with my parents and brother in law, Chris. I got to hang out with my sisters and play with my sweet little nephew Rooks, who I just can't get enough of. We had a big dinner up at my parents house, my cousin, along with his wife and son came too. We haven't got to hang out with them for a few years, so it was awesome to see them.

Sunday morning, my dad made us a big breakfast, I must say it is so wonderful to have someone cook for me (I totally spaced it was Fast Sunday). Then we headed back to our home in SLC, made it just in time for church. What a crazy weekend!

P.S. My honey is graduating college, he has his last class next Wednesday, and Thursday we are off to Taiwan and China! This is his cute grad pic, since we will be in China when he is supposed to walk.


P.S.S. When the Monty broke down, I must admit that I cried and Tys was a little ticked, but we decided to laugh it off, and just try and have fun. We have come a long way to be able to do this, four years ago, I would still be crying. We were joking with the people at the repair shop, at the gas station and with each other the whole time, if you can't tell by the cheesy pictures above. I'm so grateful for my man that keeps me centered, has a great sense of humor, and that I can share all of life's experiences with, even ones where we end up stranded. Thanks Tralina and Will for saving us!

1 comments:

Shalisa Hazleton said...

That really stinks! I bet you are thinking what else could go wrong. I am glad you made it out to Vernal and enjoyed yourself anyway.